Follow the links below for descriptions and available opportunities to participate in our worship service.
Outreach – Nourish Bridgeport
Lay Reader Instructions
Participate in worship by reading the scriptures. The passages will be emailed to you in advance so that you can familiarize yourself with them. On your selected Sunday please arrive 5-10 minutes prior to the worship service to touch base with Pastor Tim about any pronunciation questions or other details. Take your place anywhere in the pews and come forward to the lectern to read your passages at the appropriate time in the service. Introduce your passage by saying, “Our first reading is from [book, chapter, & verses]. (If the verses are broken up into multiple clusters, or if the naming of them is cumbersome you are welcome to abbreviate by simply saying the book and chapter.) If there are multiple passages to read simply continue by saying, “Our second reading…” etc. When you have concluded your readings please say, “This is the word of God for the people of God. Thanks be to God.” Please return to your seat. Thank you for participating this way in the worship service.
Feel free to bring your family to greet with you!
- Arrive at TCC at least 20 minutes before the service begins.
- Stand at the entrance of the sanctuary. Greet every person with a warm smile and handshake as they enter; Extend a warm welcome and introduce yourself to visitors, invite them to coffee hour, introduce them to the pastor and a few members, etc. if possible.
- Each person entering the church should be offered a bulletin. Offer to escort people to their seats, if desired. Advise newcomers with babies about the nursery downstairs.
- Special events (ie. baptism): Check the bulletin for any special event that may be taking place, and ensure front rows of pews are reserved if necessary.
- Remain at the rear of the church for the first ten minutes of service, watchful for parishioners, or the pastor, who may need assistance.
- Please record our attendance in the attendance notebook in the window behind the greeting area. A good time to do this is during the children’s sermon or during Communion if it is the first Sunday of the month.