Director of Children & Family Ministries
Are you passionate about engaging children and families in faith formation experiences that cultivate love for a loving God, participation in the church’s embrace, and care for our neighbors? Are you eager to meet an open-minded congregation’s desire to engage a family-friendly community with creative, playful, and formative ministries? The Trumbull CC is looking for a creative and competent new staff partner to guide our ministry with children and families. The right candidate will be a person of faith with strong interpersonal and organizational skills. They will have a love for and clear understanding of the needs of children and a passion to cultivate faith through faith education, formation, and participation in the life of the church. If you’re looking for an opportunity to use your gifts and training in a local church, please read on and consider sending your cover letter and resume to Pastor Tim Hare at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Title: Director of Children & Family Ministries (DCFM)
Purpose: Creatively oversee and operate a small but evolving program of Christian faith formation for grades K-8. The leader in this role supports a ministry that enacts the church’s vision for engaging families, reaches the wider community, and may grow our congregation.
Teaching and Equipping
- During times of remote learning design weekly opportunities and activities for family faith exploration and lead related Sunday breakout sessions with children and families as “class time.”
- Serve as head teacher as necessary.
- Offer children’s sermons or children’s activities during worship with guidance from the pastor.
- Plan, direct, and produce the Christmas pageant and assist with other opportunities for children to participate in the worship service.
- Develop and maintain relationships and consistent contact with church school families. Develop practices for inviting and engaging the greater community, particularly through social media outlets.
- Recruit, equip, and resource adult volunteer teachers as circumstances and needs require.
Leadership and Administration
- Oversee nursery care and upkeep.
- Keep accurate records, rosters, and contact information for students, parents, and adult volunteers.
- Order curriculum in collaboration with the pastor and work with the pastor to evaluate programs and develop new ways of achieving goals.
- Oversee and manage compliance with the Safe Church policy.
- With congregational support, facilitate summertime educational programming for children.
- Provide clear and effective communications to families and the congregation through church newsletter articles, Sunday morning bulletin announcements, social media, and church bulletin board displays, which promote and communicate the children’s ministry program.
Qualifications: An ideal candidate will be a person of faith with strong interpersonal and organizational skills. They will have a love for and clear understanding of the needs of children and a passion to cultivate faith through faith education, formation, and participation in the life of the church.
Covenant Expectations and requirements:
- Shares core values with the Trumbull Congregational Church community.
- Teaching experience preferred.
- This is a 46 weeks position with an annual salary of $8,000 and an estimated work week of 8-10 hours. The DCFM will communicate weekly work hours and availability on a consistent / monthly basis.
- The DCFM is expected to be present 46 Sundays per year. Two weeks notice to the pastor is required when they are unavailable.
- The Director of Children and Family Ministries reports to the Pastor.
- At will employment with a termination notice of this agreement which requires 30 days notice by either party.
- Will successfully pass a requisite background check.